Hackney Council in London unable to pay housing benefit after cyber attack (Sky News, 17 Oct 2020)
- Hackney Council unable to pay housing benefit after cyber attack
- By Alexander Martin. Published in Sky News on 17 October 2020
- Thousands of private renters in Hackney could face eviction and potentially homelessness as the council says it is unable to make housing benefit payments due to a cyber attack earlier this week.
- The council was hit on Tuesday 13 October by what Mayor Philip Glanville described as a "serious cyber attack" which continues to leave many of its services and IT systems unavailable.
- In an update regarding the incident published late on Friday 16 October, the council warned it was unable to make some payments, including discretionary housing payments, certain supplier payments, and housing benefit.
- Keywords: London, England, UK, social housing, financial help, cyber crime